Thursday, June 14, 2012

Back to the Ring?

Returning from a recovery period after my last foot injury I'm back at my boxing gym, training 4 days a week, I'm not as good as I was before my injury and it is very frustrating. My coach is a big proponent of negative reinforcement which makes it even harder for me, but since I'm almost 30 and i have hurt both my feet training and can no longer wear high heels or any shoes without my orthotic inserts without pain, I have realized that I can only build myself up so quickly.


Mentally I'm ready to get in the ring and start sparring but for now I guess I will just have to be content with a slow steady progression towards the ring.






This slowness can be applied to many aspects of life. I feel ready for a promotion but am not eligible for another year, i feel ready to buy a house but my credit does not allow appropriate financing. Bummer.

I've found the key is to step back and evaluate what exactly it is that I am after. For example, boxing for me is a way to make myself stronger and become able to defend myself(by knocking mf's out with 1punch) I would like to do amateur boxing, but I recognized early on that my 5'5" 110lb tiny boned frame won't ever be able to be a pro boxer, since then I've gained 15lbs of muscle and become bigger than I thought possible, so I'll admit I secretly dream about going pro and facing off against Holly Holm.



....and prolly getting my face crushed, much like this chick. But it is still a dream I have. The flip side is tho, to become a pro boxer you must become a boxer. It's not a sport, it's a way of life. It's going to bed sore every night, not drinking, not eating anything but health foods and protein shakes, not having a social life and barely having time to walk your dog.



This week is a prime example, I've been at the gym till dark after work every day this week and will be tonight. By the time I get home I'm almost too tired to walk my doggie so she gets an abbreviated walk and it makes me feel just terrible.

So I have been asking myself what it is exactly I'm working towards in the ring. I want to spar a few times a week. That's it. I like fighting, being punched and punching people is actually enjoyable for me but realistically I have so many interests that I'm not 100% committed to becoming the next Preachers Daughter....but a girl can dream can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment